6.14.2010

monday moment.

a few weeks back i had the chance to visit my grammy in oregon who was then in the process of being moved from her home of 30+ years to an assisted living home in salem oregon.

in short, the visit was wonderful.

i sat on her bed while she sat in her wheelchair and held her dainty, weathered hands while we chatted about memories that she had from when her and my papa met. she asked me how my love life was and i kindly reminded her that aaron and i got married almost two years ago and that i was happier than i have ever been in my life. i sat next to her while she ate dinner with three other elderly ladies from the home and watched as she wrote all of her children and grandchildren's names on her paper placemat in her infamous perfect cursive. i massaged her wrinkled hands while filing and painting each of her fingernails and laughed with her while we tried to decide on which nail to place the tiny, gold butterfly decal. i sat beside her while she and my mother and aunts sung old songs from their childhood and saw the light in her eyes as she remembered each word and note.

i love my grammy and although someday soon she may not even remember my name i am so grateful for the memories that i have made with her through the years and for the incredibly talented and supportive woman that i have to call my grammy.

image via flickr

2 comments:

Shelby said...

It's an interesting time, huh? I just went to Oregon a few weeks ago and got to see Grammy and Papa's new home. I think it's especially hard for Papa because he realizes this is their new home and they can't go back to Lone Oak but Grammy doesn't. It was nice to write Papa memories for him on Father's Day :) And I'm glad they have our moms and aunt Ketti. Hopefully we'll be good daughters too :) Love you Kayti!

Anonymous said...

So Sweet! Thanks for sharing this precious memory. It was precious for me too. I will email you a picture of you and Grammy and a picture of Grammy's hands.