9.15.2009

i just spent

the better half of my morning scrolling through this blog reading all of the posts entitled "our secret to a happy marriage".

i hope that these make you smile.

recently i have really tried to be so conscientious of what makes us happy in our marriage; what makes me turn to aaron at the end of the day and realize how gosh darn lucky i am.

"oldham: our secret to a happy marriage"

  • i always look back on our honeymoon with fond memories; not because it was fancy or elaborate but because of the time that aaron and i spent separated from the world. that time separated from every care and obligation is still important to us. even if we simply sit down for dinner knowing that we cannot take phone calls, giving each other undivided attention is important every single day.
  • things that were important to us before we were married are still important to us - i often forget this. aaron still needs to play the drums. i still need to go thrift shopping. aaron needs silence to focus on school. i need girl time to retain my sanity. in the midst of being newlyweds and being head-over-heels in love we lost those things that were most important to us before we were a couple. it has taken us a little bit, but finding a balance between "me" time and "us" time has done a world of good for our relationship.
  • when aaron and i were first dating {in the days of "own it"} he said something that still resonates with me, "if we are both being completely selfless, than each of our needs will be fulfilled." the days when i feel the most alone and depressed are those days when i have sunk into utter self-absorbtion. i constantly need to remind myself that my happiness lies in the happiness of the one that i love.

now, to my dear blog readers; those that i love and admire. what has gotten you to a state of marital bliss or simply provided you with a sense of sanity in your parnership? *please email me {kaytidan@gmail.com} with your list of secrets and a charming photo because i would love to share those results with the rest of the curious readers.

3 comments:

Mrs. Tame said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lea Tame said...

LOVE this! I'll be emailing you.

Tiffany said...

This is so cute! I wish I had a great marital comment to make but I love reading everyone elses! :)