2.11.2009

read me.

so, i have never been much of a reader.

in fact in sixth grade my home room teacher, during SSR {super silent reading}, calculated how fast i read in front of the whole entire class, concluding that i read slower than a first grader and ruined any like or desire that i had or may have had to ever read again.

lo and behold. recent circumstances {husband being a devout homework completer and reader} have broken me of this fear i have always had of reading. i have found the power to turn off the TV and become enveloped in the happenings of my novels.

i am not sure if this is a permanent thing. {the haunting image of that horrific teacher still looms in the deepest corners of my mind, threatening to jump out at any moment and send me back into a downward and negative spiral} but for now i am thoroughly enjoying Chiam Potok's novel 'I am the Clay'.

any recommendations on a good read - share with the class. {i promise i will never calculate how fast you read, embarrass you beyond recovery and make you hate reading. cross my heart}

3 comments:

Steph Taylor said...

The Poisonwood Bible. Read it. You'll love it.

Shelby said...

Oh my gosh Kayti I hate your teacher!! So sad!! Thanks for the encouraging comments, I'm really excited and hope I get in! I've been reading tons lately for school (I am taking 4 english classes), but have really enjoyed the reading. I'm not sure what you like but the book "In Cold Blood" is pretty cool. It's a true story of a family murdered in Kansas and the account of the killers as well. Sound gruesome but you get to know the killers so you don't really hate them. Anyway it's a good read. :)

Shelby said...

Scratch that, new idea. Read "The Glass Castle", easy inspiring (I hope, I'm only halfway through it) read. seriously :)